One would think after being in Hawaii for a week already that we would run out of things to do. No way! Even though this wasn't a lounge-on-the beach vacation, we could always think of more that we wanted to see and do. 
Today, I suggested that we go West--over to another side of the island (Ko Olina) where Marriott had bought an area on the less rainy side of the island and built a resort. George and I had stayed here with Kevin and Angie's family a few years ago.
That particular area wasn't used very much prior to Marriott purchasing it because the beach wasn't so good for those who wanted to casually lounge by it.
This resort is truly an island paradise.
Right behind my dad and sisters is a huge pool with hammerhead shark inside.
My sister Joyce got this perfect picture of a hammerhead shark.
In another pool area, two guys were feeding oysters in the opened shells to sting rays.
They told us the sting ray barbs are close to their body rather than out on the end of their tails, so they felt pretty safe around them.
Those sting rays would come right up and eat out of their hands. Of course, their mouths are under their bodies, so the sting ray would go across their hand to get the oyster.
Dad taking a little breather while talking to Joyce and Natalie
Something new that has been added since we were there with Kevin's family, is this huge resort right next door to Marriott that was built by Disney. As always, Disney does it up big!
A huge aquarium where you can study the fish and sea life.
It looks like you can even snorkel there to see the fish up close and personal in the water.
Disney has done the entire resort in a Native Hawaiian theme and culture.
After having a fun lunch in a little sidewalk cafe, we went to the movie theater in the little town nearby where we saw "Parental Guidance." Angie had told us how their family enjoyed it so much. George and I saw it in Florida, then we went with John and Alison's family in California, now I went with my dad and sisters in Hawaii. I loved this movie! It was so fun for any age!
The next morning, Beverly and I looked out our balcony for the last time on this vacation. This had been our view for a week now. At night, the mountain covered with all kinds of lights, was absolutely beautiful.
Joyce, Natalie, and my dad had this view from their side: Waikiki Beach, the pool, tennis courts, playground, hot tub, lounging area, etc. We had kept on the move and had only been down there one time.
Joyce took one last picture on the balcony of our condo before we left.
My dad has actually owned a condo in this resort for many years--probably 25 years or more, but this is the first time I have ever stayed there. This condo is so conveniently located and became our home away from home.
The condos have one bedroom, but there is, also, a bed that pulls out of the wall in the living area.
Beverly in the eating area. The other bed is behind the bi-fold doors. As you can see, we had our suitcases all packed up.
The kitchen. Beverly and I actually ate across the hall in Joyce, Natalie, and Dad's condo. That is where we kept all our food since the kitchen was actually a little bigger.
After leaving the condo, my dad had one last request: He wanted to see the hotel where he and mother had stayed when they were invited here by the International Governor of Rotary and my dad spoke. They had such a wonderful time there that my dad just wanted to go and see it again. It brought him to tears! Seriously, he cried as hard as I have ever seen him cry.
We then headed off to the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium. It is a huge swap meet with 700 merchants, they say. My sisters made a few purchases, but I honestly just enjoyed strolling through all the booths. I'm getting so that I want to cut down on items rather than get more items. I must be getting old!
One last stop before they took me to the airport: Hilo Hattie's--again because my mother loved to go there. It is huge and has all kinds of Hawaiian memorabilia. We took this picture in front of a big mural they have out front. Our last picture together before I took off.
Dad wanted to buy each of us something to remember the special trip we had together. I chose this little sea turtle:
It has a little sticker on the backside that says "Hilo Hattie's," so it will always remind me of my visit there with my dad and sisters. Yes, the father and sister vacation was over as I said good-bye to everyone and walked into the airport. I left at 5:30 p.m. to start my trip home to Florida, the rest of them only had to go to Utah and Idaho, so they didn't leave until 10:30 p.m. They actually went to see "The Impossible," while they waited. I saw it with George when I got home. Fantastic true story of a family and what they went through in the 2004 Tsunami. We all loved this movie, too!
So many memories--so many places visited together with so many special people in my life. Thanks to you all for making it so special! I will truly never forget this time together!









2 comments:
Wow, you did it!! You completed your blogging about our trip. What an accomplishment.
I thrilled reading your detailed memories of each day we were together from morning until night
Also, thank you for being such a first-class roommate. We really were able to unwind and chill which was important after some pretty rigorous days. Aside from all each of us girls wanted to do, Dad had quite a list also.
Just as you said in your last paragraph, I truly will never forget our time together. Sister trips don't get any better than this one. I really love my dear sisters!!
Oh, I'm going to miss reading your blog every day! You did an amazing, very thorough job, Laura! Thanks for taking the time and thinking of every detail--even a picture of your little turtle. You are such a wonderful sister, and I love being with you and traveling with you! Now, here's to our next trip together in August!!!!
Post a Comment