And we've been going through boxes to try to get the least amount of "stuff" to take clear across the United States!

George has helped on Saturdays because he's still working and that puts me as the major box packer.
And in our backyard, I don't know what is louder--the hammers and sawing of all the workers putting in over 30 houses in our sub-division or the squawking of the geese who are so bothered about what is happening to their fields to run free in. This was THEIR home, they thought!
Yes, everything is changing around here!
For Valentine's Day, I actually had a Valentine's Week. First George took me to dinner and then to the "Piano Guys" concert. Absolutely one of the best concerts I have ever been to! If they ever come to your town, DEFINITELY go!!! It was so entertaining, we both hated it to end. There was such a happy feeling as everyone left the auditorium--such good, clean fun!!!
Then, George called Elda and asked her to meet him at their parents' grave site. Their father was born in January and their mother was born in March, so it was a great time in February to celebrate both of their birthdays.
We then showed Elda where their Grandpa George and Grandma Linnie's graves were. She never knew or had seen their graves before, so it was great for her to go there.
She and Malcolm surprised us with giving us symphony tickets for the Valentine's concert of love songs such as the ones from "Les Miserables'," "Phantom," "Romeo and Juliet," "West Side Story," etc. Absolutely the best! These were our seats--right in the middle and down so close. We loved the entire concert! There was a guest conductor who made everything so fun, plus a male singer who had played both the lead parts in Les Mis and Phantom on Broadway. Plus, the female singer was an opera singer from Dallas who was able to handle the Broadway songs very easily and beautifully. They made a wonderful couple to sing these beautiful songs. So you can see, I had a great break from all the boxes and papers!
Now, as our days our winding down before we leave Florida, we are both getting very nostalgic. I will be the first to admit I came kicking and screaming when I left Utah. I really had no desire to move to Florida. Now, over 21 years later, I'm really having a hard time leaving. We took our Diet Cokes and Wendy's Frosties over to our favorite little Spring Park to just enjoy the evening there one more time.
And George is having a real hard time leaving the District. He has so enjoyed his 19 years there as Asst. Superintendent for Business Affairs.
At his last Board Meeting which was in February, the Superintendent gave him a wonderful tribute and presented him with a special gift. If you would like to watch this, click on the link below:
(Move the bar to 40:19 to where the presentation is made.)
It really made George feel so happy. He was given a standing ovation and so many kind words. Yes, he's going to miss his days at the District, but hopefully this next chapter of our lives will be full of doing good for others through serving, enjoying our kids and grand kids, and seeing more of the world.
Next post: George's Retirement Party







2 comments:
I just watched the video of the superintendent's wonderful tribute to George! George certainly deserves every credit that is given to him. You must be so proud! I'm excited to see your post of his retirement party.
Also, loved how you have recorded your move--the boxing up of your belongings and going through all of the papers you've accumulated over the years! Wow, you will feel so free of all that "cleansing!"
Thanks again for the envelope I received of some papers of important events in my life that you have saved. You and George are two very special people that will continue to bless the lives of anyone around you!!
As one of the ladies said at the end of George's talk--"outstanding". I am so grateful you posted for us to see and share this significant time in his career. To end a career of service and hard work with such good feelings, saying that he has tried to be honest and hard-working, was just outstanding.
Wow, also very apparent is that you have and still are making preparations for the move from Florida to Washington. You have indeed put closure to many aspects of your Florida years.
It is great to know that there will be many more adventures awaiting you two in the retirement years to come!!
Post a Comment