Sunday, June 19, 2011

Salute to Hardworking Fathers!

When I think of fathers this Fathers' Day, I think of all they have to do to provide for the family, as well as being expected to help out in the home, too.  It is a major juggling act which fortunately, I have had wonderful examples in my life of fathers doing just that--working hard at their vocations, as well as in their homes.  So, today, I salute Hardworking Fathers!

When World Ward II ended, my father was actually disappointed that he never was able to participate in the war after all the training he did as a flight engineer in the Air Force.  But, he quickly went back to college and even though he and my mother had three children by the time he graduated, he graduated with his law degree. 

Since I was the oldest child, I have to admit that I felt slighted at all the hours he put into his law practice to get it going.  He didn't attend many special events in my life.
However, through the years I have come to realize how many people were counting on my father's help in dire circumstances where he never let them down, many times doing his legal work for next to nothing.  He never turned anyone away.   


Now that he is 88 years young, he is still a practicing attorney, rarely missing a day at the office.  I see his love for the people as well as the work.  And yes, through the years he has found more time to spend with his family.  We love having him around and going places with him.  He is always so appreciative!


George's father came from a huge family of 12 children.  They lived in the backwoods of Georgia with very few modern conveniences.  Therefore, college, let alone high school, wasn't even an option. 


However, even with only a 7th grade education, he became a master plumber known throughout the entire northeast Florida for his honesty and hard work.  He definitely never expected of those who worked for him more than he would do himself. 


My husband had a desire to become an accountant.  Therefore, after spending four years getting his undergraduate degree in accounting, he began his career in CPA firms and became a CPA.  He then decided he wanted to go back to school, so even with very busy church positions and seven children, he finished his master's and doctorate degrees in the evenings over a period of years. 

My husband has absolutely loved his work with Clay County Schools.  He has such wonderful people he works with which makes it that much more enjoyable.  He certainly agrees with the statement made by Pres. David O. McKay who said:  "Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that the power to work is a blessing, that the love of work is success." 

And now, I salute seven other hardworking fathers:  My sons and sons-in-law.  All of them have graduated from college and are making their way through this world.  I appreciate how they provide for their families in a time when it isn't always easy.   


Kevin


John


Kyle


Jeff


Cameron


Kent


Craig


I hope you all have a wonderful Fathers' Day.  I love you all!

4 comments:

Six Girls and One Boy said...

What a wonderful salute to your father, father-in-law, sons and sons-in-law! All of the men in your life have certainly taken the role of "father" seriously and worked very hard to provide for their families. Happy Father's Day, George.

Beverly said...

I loved your tribute to the fathers in your life. Dad, George's father, George and your boys are all truly deserving of admiration and appreciation. In seeing these photos together it is easy to see how being a wonderful father passes on for generations.

4lakedames said...

I read you comment on my blog..thank you! I really had YOU and AMY & family in mind when we came, but knew it wouldnt happen to see you this trip to FL. We didnt even go up to Gainesville, but I know you are up northeast of there anyhow!
Would love to reconnect next time we come. We'll let you know when that will be! xox

4lakedames said...

If you ever come this way to WA (Sunnyside is a couple hours south of us!) we would love to see you too!