John's Homecoming.
Since all the drivers just sit in their cars until the owners decide to go someplace, they were all more than willing to help the girls put the sign up in front of the house. Very few Americans drive their own cars because it is so dangerous to drive in Shanghai--if there are driving rules, one would never know it!
The sign had all kinds of greetings from members of the church in the branch. John has been the Branch President, and you could tell the people loved him!
Can you see the banana cream pie promise? Well, this sister really did deliver it--John's favorite, and it was divine! Problem was--he only got one piece. We're not quite sure where the rest of the pie went!
Meanwhile, Roscoe and Roxi waited patiently outside. They weren't invited in. They are not too fond of strangers. Funny thing--after the first initial growls, they then became my fast friends, and especially Roscoe followed me everywhere. One time I was reading on the couch, and he came and laid down by me. The phone rang, and I could hardly move him to get to the phone. Hah!
They even decorated John and Alison's bedroom with balloons and well-wishes.
Even the children in the church nursery sent him good wishes!
So after two weeks, we could finally take him home! We were all so excited!
John's favorite nurse. She was great to help John all while he was there.
We came driving up to the house and there were Parker, Tyson, and Preston to greet their dad.
Oh, yes, and Roscoe wanted to greet him, too.
John saw the drawing of his fallen body on the pavement and the sign above it, and he really had a chuckle!
Now to maneuver up the stairs. We always made sure someone was behind him! It really was a great day when he came home.
A "Little" Barbecue Party. Lynette's (Bracken's "friend's") mother wanted to have a "little" graduation party for six of the graduates and invited the families of each.
The six graduates are at the back--Parker is on the front left and Lynette's brother is on the front right.
"Little" barbecue"? I could not believe the food they kept bringing out. In addition to the biggest steaks I have ever seen, there were lamb chops, salmon, all kinds of chicken skewers, you name it--and it was all barbecued outside by their housekeeper under the supervision of Lynette's mother. She loves to cook!
John, Lynette's dad, me, Preston, Alison, the mothers of the two girls who graduated, and then Lynette's mother.
Oh, yes, and there was spaghetti for appetizers, along with potato salad, all kinds of fruits, and green salad.
Us toasting the kids with our Diet Cokes and water.
I didn't think it was appropriate to take a picture of their beautiful home, but it had three stories with an elevator and a rooftop deck that you can see saw all over Shanghai from. Amazing! What a beautiful evening with wonderful, kind, sharing people! They just couldn't have been more helpful! Every minute they were asking what more we would like. Alison and I couldn't even eat the last three or four courses because we were so stuffed!
Alison Goes to San Francisco. After three years in Paris and six years in Shanghai, John and Alison and their family will be moving back to the good old U.S.A. John is transferring to the San Francisco office of Deloitte this summer. Therefore, Alison had to fly there to close on their home they are buying. She took along the Power of Attorney papers that we had obtained when we took John with us to the American Consulate so she could sign his name on everything. I stayed at home with the four kids and John while he recuperated. Here was my daily schedule:
5:20 a.m. - Make sure Bracken and Parker are up getting ready for seminary.
5:50 a.m. - Seminary starts in the room right next to where I was staying.
6:15 a.m. - Get Tyson up and make sure he is getting ready and fed.
7:30 a.m. - Get Preston up and get him ready and fed, if he isn't already awake.
8:10 a.m. - Get Preston outside in the little mini-bus that stops right in the drive way to take him to school.
(And Alison has this schedule every day!)
(And Alison has this schedule every day!)
Then what you ask??? Well, Alison had so many people ask her what to do while she was gone, she made one request: Entertain my mother and bring in meals. Can you imagine that? I told her none of this was necessary, but she said that they all wanted to do it. Seriously, I was treated so royally!
Day One. Two of Alison's sweet friends in the church branch took me to have a pedicure, then to lunch, and then to the fabric market where I saw some real shopping take place! One of the girls had so many items made just by looking at the fabric and having her measurements taken or bringing in an outfit she wanted repeated in another color. Those fabric markets can practically make everything overnight--including a man's suit!
Day Two. A wife of another partner at Deloitte and another friend of both her and Alison took me to lunch at a favorite Chinese restaurant in downtown Shanghai.
These women were so delightful and we got to know each other very quickly through our time together. The one in pink is moving back to the states this summer, too, and the one in the white shirt will be staying. She is from England, I believe
I had to take a picture of the bathroom inside this beautiful restaurant. As I was washing my hands, I thought that was a mirror behind the faucet--but, to my amazement, it was open to the men's restroom on the other side. Fortunately, no man was in the men's restaurant while I was washing my hands. I'm afraid I would have felt really uncomfortable!
The financial center and the office building where John has worked for the past six years was practically right across the street from this restaurant.
Then the two ladies took me to the French Concession and showed me around. We had a wonderful dessert that we all shared in a little shop there. I found this information about the French Concession very interesting:
The history of the French Concession is the history of foreign involvement in modern China. After the Chinese loss of the Opium Wars in 1842, Shanghai, among other cities, were forced to open themselves as international “ports of call.” In 1849, the government of Shanghai conceded a large segment of land to the French consulate. This plot of land was expanded a few times and at its height in the 1936, consisted of the whole of present-day Xuhui and Luwan Districts. The French Settlement had its own code of laws and enforcement and was a de facto sovereign nation. Entrance by local Chinese was strictly limited to the affluent and influential and, in fact, many Chinese leftist artists and intellectuals made the French Concession their home. After World War II, the French gave up its concessions in China. It is now a popular tourist destination.
By the way: Notice the trees lining the pleasant streets. In 1902, the Concession introduced platanes (London Planes) as a roadside tree on Avenue Joffre. Because this tree, now popular as a roadside tree throughout China, was first introduced in the French Concession in Shanghai, it is known in Chinese as the "French Plane".
Day Three. Today, Bracken was my guide. What a good sport he was! He took me so many fun places, and spoke Chinese to all the taxi drivers (John had to use their driver to go to work that day for a few hours), store keepers, and everyone else we met. There is absolutely no way I could ever have gotten around without him!
This is the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. If only we had more time, I would have loved to go in there, but we needed to be home when the other kids got home. (Remember: Bracken is a graduate by now and didn't have to go back to the last week of school!) Anyway, just to the right is called the Underground Market where all the knock-offs are sold. Bracken and I had a great time there, and believe me, he is a great bargainer! You never buy for what they tell you to pay for something!
He then took me on a tour of the Shanghai World Financial Center Observatory.
• The Shanghai World Financial Center was planned to be the tallest building in the world when it was designed in 1997. The 97 Story building would surpass the spires of the Petronas Towers in Malaysia. When Construction was restarted in 2003, the 508 Meter Taipei 101 in Taiwan was already underway to becoming the World's Tallest Building. Plans where changed but the Tower couldn’t be built any higher than its present height at 492 meters since the already done foundation was meant to support a 460 meter tall building.
• The structure features 3 floors of underground parking, shops and a conference center on floors 1 through 5, offices on floors 7 through 77, a hotel located on floors 79 through 93, and finally observation and exhibition areas on floors 94 through 100.
• To protect the building from fierce winds, the Shanghai World Financial Center holds two tuned mass dampers below its observation floors to reduce the building’s sway during windstorms and earthquakes.
• After the events of September 11th, 2001, the building was redesigned to withstand a disaster such as a plane crash including 12 fireproof refugee areas, and two external elevators.
• The trapezoidal hole atop the Tower was originally a sphere, designs where changed after the Chinese Government made claims in 2005 that the Japanese Funded Building's circular hole was too similar to the rising sun on Japan's Flag.
• The observation bridge atop the building is the highest outdoor observation deck in the world.
• On August 14th, 2007 a few of the upper floors caught on fire during construction, the blaze was put out and nobody was hurt.
• The final steel girder of the building was installed on September 14th, 2007 when the building reached its full height of 492 meters.
• At 480 meters, the Shanghai World Financial Center is the second tallest building in the world as of 2008. It is 16 meters shorter than the 508 meter Taipei 101 in Taiwan, although this is because of the spire atop Taipei 101. Counting by roof height the Shanghai World Financial Center is a full 44 meters taller than Taipei 101.
• Inaugurated on August 28, 2008.
Everyone wants their buildings to be the tallest--so since this is now no longer the tallest building in the world, they have started another building that will even be taller near by.
This is the new building they are starting which will be taller than the Shanghai World Financial Center.


The Shanghai skyline really is spectacular!
So, back to the trip to the observatory where we went. It is officially the highest observatory on any building in the world.
This was amazing to go up. Going to the observation deck, the 102nd floor, seemed like no time at all since we were going 8 meters per second.

• The Shanghai World Financial Center was planned to be the tallest building in the world when it was designed in 1997. The 97 Story building would surpass the spires of the Petronas Towers in Malaysia. When Construction was restarted in 2003, the 508 Meter Taipei 101 in Taiwan was already underway to becoming the World's Tallest Building. Plans where changed but the Tower couldn’t be built any higher than its present height at 492 meters since the already done foundation was meant to support a 460 meter tall building.
• The structure features 3 floors of underground parking, shops and a conference center on floors 1 through 5, offices on floors 7 through 77, a hotel located on floors 79 through 93, and finally observation and exhibition areas on floors 94 through 100.
• To protect the building from fierce winds, the Shanghai World Financial Center holds two tuned mass dampers below its observation floors to reduce the building’s sway during windstorms and earthquakes.
• After the events of September 11th, 2001, the building was redesigned to withstand a disaster such as a plane crash including 12 fireproof refugee areas, and two external elevators.
• The trapezoidal hole atop the Tower was originally a sphere, designs where changed after the Chinese Government made claims in 2005 that the Japanese Funded Building's circular hole was too similar to the rising sun on Japan's Flag.
• The observation bridge atop the building is the highest outdoor observation deck in the world.
• On August 14th, 2007 a few of the upper floors caught on fire during construction, the blaze was put out and nobody was hurt.
• The final steel girder of the building was installed on September 14th, 2007 when the building reached its full height of 492 meters.
• At 480 meters, the Shanghai World Financial Center is the second tallest building in the world as of 2008. It is 16 meters shorter than the 508 meter Taipei 101 in Taiwan, although this is because of the spire atop Taipei 101. Counting by roof height the Shanghai World Financial Center is a full 44 meters taller than Taipei 101.
• Inaugurated on August 28, 2008.
Everyone wants their buildings to be the tallest--so since this is now no longer the tallest building in the world, they have started another building that will even be taller near by.
This is the new building they are starting which will be taller than the Shanghai World Financial Center.
The Shanghai skyline really is spectacular!
So, back to the trip to the observatory where we went. It is officially the highest observatory on any building in the world.
This was amazing to go up. Going to the observation deck, the 102nd floor, seemed like no time at all since we were going 8 meters per second.


Not only could you look out the sides you could, also, look through the glass panels you were walking on and see straight down. Pretty scary, huh!
This was a numbered map showing what you can see from the observatory. Number 1 is where the new Shanghai Disneyland Park is going in. The plans are to open it in 2014.

The proud claim to fame issued by the Guinness world Records: The World's Highest Observatory.
Notice how they don't show the highest building in the world. They just put the Shanghai World Financial Center in the middle with other landmarks throughout the world.
Back on the ground, you can get a perspective of how high we really were.

Then Bracken and I went for lunch and had his (and my) favorite Chinese food: Chinese dumplings! They are filled with almost any type of meats and or vegetables. They are absolutely delicious.
They bring them to you in these little steamer baskets with the hot steam coming from beneath to keep them warm.
Notice the many helpers they have making the dumplings--they are completely covered from head to toe in white--only their eyes can be seen.
Bracken even picked up the check (with his dad's money), but nevertheless, he was so kind to make my day so special! Thanks so much, Bracken!
Day 4. Alison would be coming home the next day, so John was the one who entertained me today. He was really craving Indian food, so off we went to his and Alison's favorite Indian Restaurant.
I have never eaten Indian food, so John did the ordering. It was absolutely delicious!
Not only delicious--but very colorful, too. Right?! Thanks, John, for letting me try a new cultural cuisine. It was great! So, as you can see, my days were filled with fabulous new experiences and wonderful people. Everyone treated me so kindly, and I enjoyed it all so much. I only wish George could have, also, been there to enjoy it with me.
Tyson's Tennis Lesson. Tyson has been taking lessons for a few years in groups, but this year, he is taking private lessons from an instructor from Malaysia. John was on the high school tennis team, so we both, along with Preston, went with Tyson to watch him at his lesson. We were both in awe! He is getting really good!
Way to go, Tyson! Keep up the good work!
Boy Scout Court of Honor. One evening while Alison was gone, the Boy Scout Court of Honor was being held. I told Parker and Tyson I wanted to go with them to see Tyson get some awards and Parker help with the meeting. Parker just finished his Eagle Scout project and just has his final paper work to turn in. He will receive it probably his first month after moving to San Francisco. Bracken received his about a year ago, now Parker has his finished. I am so proud of both of them, as well as Kevin and Angie's two oldest boys, Taylor and Connor. We now (just about when Parker's is finalized) have four Eagle Scouts.
She had just recently moved to Shanghai after being married to a man whose wife had died about three years ago. The wife (Taylia) was only a few weeks along pregnant with their fifth child, but evidently she had unknown heart problems and died very suddenly. In order to have someone be a surrogate mother for the four children they had, the husband called his wife's sister who had lived in Shanghai for about a year before her sister died and the children dearly loved.
When he met the man (Jeff) whose wife had died, he told some of the people in the branch that he had a sister who, also, had four children, whose husband had decided to take an alternative path in life and had left her and divorced her. He said he would love to line the two of them up--pretty difficult logistically for Jeff to be in Shanghai and his sister, Rebecca, to be in Arizona. The people who knew him well said it was way too early, but Brother Larson kept being inspired about the idea. Finally, after more time went by, he told Jeff about his sister. The two of them started conversing over the internet; Jeff flew to Arizona to meet her and her four children; Rebecca came to Shanghai to meet his four children. They fell in love, were married just two months ago, and now they have eight children together.
This is Rebecca, who married Jeff--the same young lady who invited me to sit down by her (Brother Larson's sister). I was so excited to meet her because I had followed the story of the young mother who died leaving all those children. When Alison told me about Jeff getting married again, I said, "I hope she is wonderful because that little family has gone through so much!" Alison said, "Oh, Mom! She is wonderful! We all love her so much! And Kia is thrilled for Jeff and totally accepts her as Jeff's new wife. Kia is now staying at a friend's and will be moving back to the U.S. since her calling as the surrogate mother is ended, and she can go back to being the "Aunt."
But the story even gets better: After talking to Rebecca, I found out she was from Idaho. She then told me she went to Snake River High School. I told her I had a great friend that lived in that area. Almost exactly together, she told me her parent's names while I told her my friend's name! Lo, and behold--we said the exact names! Her mother and I were friends from our Junior year in high school when we attended Girls' State together, to when we spent two years at Ricks College together seeing each other daily as Student Body Officers and even being in Woman of the Year Royalty together! Wow!!!! What a small world! We felt an instant kinship. I so loved her mother--and her father. He was such a good man and just died three years ago from an adult leukemia. Her grandfather was a state legislator at the same time as my dad was a state senator, so they were extremely good friends. We all had to take pictures to send to her mother, Susan, who is now on a Mormon mission in Washington, D.C. Don't you love how small the world is--seeing two of my friend's children (she had ten of her own, plus one foster child) just made me want to cry. I haven't seen my friend for 45 years! But, this was such a special day. And, yes, I know Rebecca will be a wonderful mother to those four little children because I know what a good mother she had. I just smile and smile when I think about all this.
Dianna Powell, Susan Larson, and Me as Women of the Year Royalty.
Bracken Leaves on His Senior Trip. So, where do the seniors go for their senior trip when you live in Shanghai? Well, Thailand, of course, to ride elephants and who knows what other exotic places there are to see there. I took this as Bracken left with 35 other seniors (and two chaperone couples). I'm sure Alison will post wonderful pictures of his experiences there. I can't wait to see them.
Attending Church in Shanghai. I was thrilled to attend church while I was in Shanghai. The other times we have gone, their meeting place was just a very large home. They had so outgrown that, but the Chinese government wouldn't allow them a meeting place. Finally, after many prayers and promises that no proselyting would be done to any of the Chinese Nationals, they were allowed to rent a big hall and buy some office space for classrooms. It is so nice now. Their branch is actually bigger than our ward here in Florida! They probably have at least 175 who come weekly!
I took a picture of some of the many friends John and Alison have had while living in Shanghai. The girl on the left is Brother Larson's wife. They have three children.
John (President Wilde) was loved by so many--especially the little children. As I heard so many of them talking about moving at the end of the school year to Taiwan, to Australia, to every different part of the United States, I had tears myself. How do these expats do this? They get so close to each other, knowing that this is all just a temporary life that will end when their jobs end in Shanghai. It has been really hard facing the reality that they will move--but they are getting used to the idea now that they have their home purchased in San Francisco. And, of course, we are all so excited to have them closer. Shanghai is just too far away!
People and Traditions that I think the Wilde Family will Miss:
Huali: The family Ayi - or family caretaker. She has been with them for six years and is like a member of the family. She knows very little English--and I know only about three words of Chinese, but every single time I'm around her, we communicate with more than words. She is one of the dearest people I know--and the family, as well as the dogs, are reeeeealy going to miss her.
When she comes in the front door and calls out in Chinese (those dogs are smart! They understand Chinese!), they come running no matter where they are!
And whichever one she picks up first, the other is begging to be picked up, too!
They are so happy, they play wrestle which is a riot to watch!
Now, Roxie has been spoiled rotten! She sits on Huali's lap while she is eating, and Huali shares her food with her.
This is Shirley from the Philippines. She is a fantastic cook and since she can speak English, she is able to interact a little more with the kids. Preston, especially, loves her. Both Shirley and Huali are always cleaning, doing laundry, ironing (they even ironed my jeans while I was there), you name it--they do it!
This is just one of the many yard workers--if a leaf is dropped, it is soon picked up. This little lady was so cute. When I told her I wanted to take her picture, (of course, doing pantomines the whole time), she put down her rake, straightened her hat and shirt, and gladly obliged. Then she said, "Shi shi," or "Thank you," for me taking her picture!
More of the yard workers. Another of their duties is to collect the trash from the trash receptacles at the side of each house. They do this HOURLY--yes, HOURLY. Wouldn't you love to have your trash dumped hourly! They are so thrilled when they open that trash receptacle and find something in it!
And then the driver--Shauli. He has only been driving for John and Alison for two years. He speaks absolutely no English, so there was no way I could ever have him take me any place. But, he is very safe. George and I loved the driver they had for four years before that named Mike. He was really something. He would always get us Diet Cokes (of course, he just made himself at home going into John and Alison's refrigerator which really kind of bugged them), and one time he brought ice cream to George at the airport. (By the time he got there, it was not "ice" any more, just "cream," but it was the thought that counted. He got tired of driving, and I personally think that his choice was good. He scared us to death when he drove! This driver is much safer!
I would hate having to call a driver when I needed to go someplace, but it is really nice when he delivers you door to door and picks you right up at a moment's notice when you're done shopping. Just think--never having to remember where you parked your car!
The trip back seemed much shorter--and soon I was looking at the good old U.S.A. again--just right before landing in Detroit. Although I am so sorry for John's unfortunate accident, I am so grateful for the wonderful experiences it worked out for me to have.
















3 comments:
Absolutely AMAZING! For the last 20 minutes of reading this post (LOL), I got to relive how fun it was you being here. We are truly, truly grateful you flew ALL the way to China to help us in our drama. Thank you a million times over. I'm so happy you could realize how many reasons it is hard for us to leave this amazing city and people. However, we are sure San Francisco will be just as wonderful. P.S. Still laughing that you couldn't get off the couch to get the phone because Rosco felt he needed to be sooo close to you :)
Wow!!! That was a wonderful thorough synopsis of your two weeks in Shanghai, as well as the side stories. That is amazing about you meeting Susan's children in Shanghai--truly a small, small world. What a great way for you to visit Shanghai one last time before John and Alison move (minus John's accident, surgery and then complications)! I'm looking forward to your blog about your visit to SLC.
Laura, I am very grateful I finally had this quiet Sunday evening to read your report about your stay in China. You were definitely needed there to help you kids but what a wonderful experience you seemed to have serving them. You are an example of how to cover every aspect of your life while being there to support your family. Thank you for sharing your great comments and testimony of the gospel.
Post a Comment