Each year my dad holds a big Rigby Christmas party on the last Saturday before Christmas. Although I didn't think I would make it this year, George said I really should go, so at the last minute, I made reservations to go to Utah for the big event.
I was pretty surprised as I arrived in Utah and the only snow I saw was on the mountain tops, and here it was December 18th!
At Kevin and Angie's house, you can look right below their deck and see such a beautiful sight! This big buck often comes and just sits on their lawn. I loved how he seemed so unafraid.
After awhile, he started walking away.
As I looked a little further over, I saw that he was joining a group of other deer. I knew Christmas was on its way with all these reindeer gathering! Hah!
Night was so beautiful with the huge tree and all the houses down below all dressed with their beautiful Christmas lights!
In the front room, Lauren wanted me to see the tree she and her mother had decorated in remembrance of Cannon and as a Menkes awareness tree. It was beautiful!
With its beautiful copper ornaments, it reminds us all of the copper deficiency little Cannon had and for all of us to be ambassadors for helping find a cure.
While I was in Utah, I was able to go to one of Kade's basketball games. George and I never let an opportunity go by to watch our grand kids in their activities.
Kade is such a nice young man with such a great heart. He always makes us feel welcome when we go to his home and activities!
Rigby Family Christmas Party
This year, we were just missing my brother Jerry who was in Arizona for his little twin grandson's Christmas there. But here are the other six of us: Natalie, Beth, Joyce, Dad, Beverly, Me, and Blair. Such wonderful brothers and sisters! I couldn't ask for any better!
My sisters, Dad, and sister-in-law
Natalie, Beth, Dad, Beverly, Me, Denise (sister-in-law)
It is so fun for everyone! As soon as you get a Bingo, you go into the prize room and get anything you want. Everyone got to go into the room three times--so there were lots of happy people when the game finished! My parents started this back in the '80s and my dad has continued this idea all these years, even after the death of my mother. He has always been so excited about it--and so has the entire family which now numbers over 140 people!
Before the game began, my dad greeted everyone and then proceeded to tell how he and my mother met as he was requested by some of the family to do.
And the Bingo game begins! Kevin has helped my dad be the caller for the last couple of years. He does a great job and enjoys doing this with my dad. Over to the left, you can see a picture of my mother which my dad always brings. In addition, he brought a picture this year of his great granddaughter, Lola (daughter of Jeff and Amy) who is named after my mother, Lola, that Amy took when my dad sent Lola the Lola doll which she loves! It is a keepsake forever!
and Kyle and Kim.
And now that Taylor and Ellie are married, I should count them as a Copeland family, too!
Kade, Carter, and Brady ready to play Bingo!
Dad with my sister, Beverly, after the party ended.
Dad with me. I still have trouble believing he will soon be 92 years old!
My sister Beth's husband, Ted, their son Burke (who is currently attending Medical School), and my sister Natalie's husband, Mark.
The girls went to thank Grandpa Rigby for the great party and wanted to say good-bye.
Grandpa Rigby surely loves his grand kids and great grand kids.
After the party, some of the families went to Temple Square to see the beautiful lights. That place puts you in the spirit of Christmas like none other! There are so many reminders there of the real reason we celebrate Christmas!
We, also, went to eat at Little America where we had to wait an hour to get in--but it was certainly worth it! Absolutely divine food!
That night, the snowflakes started falling . . .
it was absolutely beautiful!
The next morning, we got up early and went back to downtown Salt Lake where we attended the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square Church Broadcast from the Conference Center. It was fantastic and decorated so beautifully! The decorations were still there from the performances of about a week ago when the Muppets and one of the characters from "Frozen" performed with the choir. I surely wish I could have been there for that! I heard it was unbelievable!
Thanks, Kevin and Angie, for going with me to attend this performance. It is always one of Grandpa and my favorite things to do at Christmas!

Such great kids--Lauren, Hannah, and Kade
We, also, met another family that is good friends with the Copelands: The Johnsons. They had just returned from Paris, France, three days before this after picking up their oldest son, Tyler (far right) after his two-year Mormon mission there.
Their family still isn't complete in this picture. Their second son has now been serving for five months in Korea on his mission and left the exact same day as our grandson, Connor, went to Nicaragua.
After the broadcast, we all went back to Kevin and Angie's ward where another beautiful Christmas program was presented and we attended Sunday School, Relief Society, and Priesthood Meeting. We then had a wonderful lunch and headed for the two cemeteries of our two grandchildren who both passed away in the month of December. 
Cannon is buried in the American Fork Cemetery. He was nearly four years old when he died due to a rare disease called "Menkes." It is a copper deficiency disease, so Kent and Natalie made sure his name is in copper to remind people about this. The more people who are aware of it can help others in the cure which we are praying will someday be found. Too many little boys have died this year and every year because of it!
Brady, Lauren, Angie, Kim, Jenna, and Hannah (plus the dads--Kevin and Kyle) came to the cemetery along with me. It was raining at this time, as you can tell.
We then headed for the Orem Cemetery where Cameron and Anne's little girl, Avery, is buried. She only lived a few seconds, but as the headstone states: "Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footsteps have set upon our hearts." We are all looking forward to getting to know her someday!
It was getting pretty dark by this time, but Jenna and Lauren stood with me as we took the picture at Avery's grave.
That night, Kevin and Angie's kids opened their presents from Grandpa George and me, and I got to open theirs.
I was able to stay at Kyle and Kim's new home and really enjoyed that. Because they didn't know I would be coming out to Utah, they had already opened their gifts, so I didn't get pictures of them.
Well, another wonderful time in Utah at my dad's party and with our two sons and their families there. Thanks so much for always making us feel so welcome!










1 comment:
I'm so glad you were able to go to the Bingo party. I'm sure Grandpa was thrilled to have you there. It was fantastic you were able to fit other traditions in as well.
Post a Comment