Traveling has become something that George and I really enjoy doing together. We especially love going with family, but this year, none of the family was able to make it happen to come on this trip. However, George and I decided these were places that we really wanted to go to and would go forth with our plans. We already knew about half the people going. We were so glad we decided to go--this truly turned out to have once-in-a-lifetime experiences in places that I have only dreamed of seeing!
After picking up a rental car the night before at the Tri-Cities Airport, George and I loaded the car the next morning and left the house at around 7:00 a.m. for Seattle. After the temperature being in the 40s in Richland, we were looking forward to some warmer weather.
Driving to Seattle was a pleasure in our Infinity car. We saw a lot of snow near Cle-Elum and across the pass.
We got to the Seattle airport, took the car back, got on the shuttle, and were dropped off at the airport. It was that easy--that way, we didn't have to pay for our car to be in airport parking for three weeks--and the car rental was only $42 plus a little gas!
When we got through security and went to the gate, we saw Dan and Pam Newbold, our Cruise Directors who had set up our entire cruise and land tours. After eating a little lunch in the airport, we loaded the plane and flew 10 1/2 hours to Nagata Tokyo Airport, exited the plane, had about an hour to go through security again, and loaded back up on the same plane (but fortunately they had cleaned it up again), and we flew another 7 1/2 hours to Singapore.
Getting into Singapore, it was 78 degrees at 12:05 a.m. at night! Yes, it was very warm and muggy! Not having the snow and drizzle actually made us sooo happy! Two vans picked our group up and took us to our Holiday Inn in Orchard City Center in Singapore.
We loved being able to clean up--and I was especially thrilled to have a real tub! We finally got to bed at 3:00 a.m. Singapore time after sleeping probably 2 hours at the most during the past two days! So it was now April 1st.
After sleeping for only about 4 1/2 hours, we got up excited for the new day and new adventures in Singapore. We ate a wonderful breakfast at the hotel with some of the people in our group, then met more people who we would be traveling with for the next 2 1/2 weeks.
We all decided to meet downstairs at 12:30, but since George and I were ready, we told them we were going to take a little walk. Two and a half hours later, we barely made it back to the hotel to meet up with the group. We really enjoyed the walk, but it was so hot and we got lost (I got lost trying to tell George I thought I knew the way back! Hah! We should both know by now that I do not do well at finding directions!). Orchard Road is the retail and entertainment hub of Singapore and extends a little over one and a third mile.
Driving to Seattle was a pleasure in our Infinity car. We saw a lot of snow near Cle-Elum and across the pass.
We got to the Seattle airport, took the car back, got on the shuttle, and were dropped off at the airport. It was that easy--that way, we didn't have to pay for our car to be in airport parking for three weeks--and the car rental was only $42 plus a little gas!
When we got through security and went to the gate, we saw Dan and Pam Newbold, our Cruise Directors who had set up our entire cruise and land tours. After eating a little lunch in the airport, we loaded the plane and flew 10 1/2 hours to Nagata Tokyo Airport, exited the plane, had about an hour to go through security again, and loaded back up on the same plane (but fortunately they had cleaned it up again), and we flew another 7 1/2 hours to Singapore.
Getting into Singapore, it was 78 degrees at 12:05 a.m. at night! Yes, it was very warm and muggy! Not having the snow and drizzle actually made us sooo happy! Two vans picked our group up and took us to our Holiday Inn in Orchard City Center in Singapore.
Beautiful flowers in the lobby were so welcoming!
After sleeping for only about 4 1/2 hours, we got up excited for the new day and new adventures in Singapore. We ate a wonderful breakfast at the hotel with some of the people in our group, then met more people who we would be traveling with for the next 2 1/2 weeks.
We all decided to meet downstairs at 12:30, but since George and I were ready, we told them we were going to take a little walk. Two and a half hours later, we barely made it back to the hotel to meet up with the group. We really enjoyed the walk, but it was so hot and we got lost (I got lost trying to tell George I thought I knew the way back! Hah! We should both know by now that I do not do well at finding directions!). Orchard Road is the retail and entertainment hub of Singapore and extends a little over one and a third mile.
Walking down the side road to get out to Orchard Road from our hotel. This is absolutely one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in! We didn't see one piece of paper on the ground or anywhere, for that matter!
There are so many beautiful, modern malls along Orchard Road--22 to be exact! And yes, George was thrilled that he was able to find a very cold Diet Coke!
And we even saw our friend, Steph there! (I wish!--looks like he's pretty famous in Singapore, too!)
Beautiful green areas, trees, and bushes lined the street.
My attempt at a selfie!
We were
dead tired, but we went out with Dan and Pam, Sam and Jessi, and Tom and
Ellen. We had fun and it was definitely great that George and I knew a
lot about the area by now. We decided to take the Hop on-Hop Off bus since it looked like it was going to rain.
We passed by the Singapore Flyer,
crossed the bridge over into the Marina Bay area where we drove by the Marina Sands, the Arts and Science Museum,
and the Merlion. Tomorrow we would be taking an actual guided tour of the city, so we would be able to get out and actually tour all these places. We were so excited seeing how beautiful all of this was!
Singapore financial district.
China Town of Singapore
Hindu Temple - A characteristic of most temples is the presence of murtis (statues) of the Hindu deity to whom the temple is dedicated.
Pedestrian friendly walk-ways cross busy streets.
Plaza Singapura--definitely a high-end mall along Orchard Road!
I think every big city has a Hard Rock Cafe!
We were on top of the bus and the rain just started dumping on us. George and I decided to go down below because we were just drenched and I couldn't even see through my glasses, they were so covered with water! The Hop On-Hop Off bus around the city only cost $20 apiece. When we got off, we were all starving, so we decided we just wanted McDonald's because nothing else looked too appetizing for lunch--i.e. these ducks with the heads and bills still on!

After eating a Burger King, we headed back to the hotel.





































1 comment:
Beautiful, clear pictures with your new camera! Looks like Singapore is everything I've heard about. Looking forward to your posts.
Post a Comment