Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy Birthday to George

How great is it to be on a ship eating the most divine food (steak and lobster) after a beautiful day in Florence and Pisa--and have your birthday, too!    If we could have had all our children and grandchildren there, it would have been complete!  But we had gotten to know the people we had been with for nearly two weeks, plus Doug and Joyce, so we were all like family by this time.


George was eating his Baked Alaska when the waiter brought in . . .


a little birthday cake I had ordered.


Then everyone who was at both tables who were part of our group came over and sang "Happy Birthday to George."  


Then, of course, everyone gave him their birthday wishes.  The people at our table gave him a really cool print of the bridge at Florence (Ponte Vecchio), so he could remember where he was on this birthday.

These were the men at our table, plus the assistant and our table waiter.  The table waiter was from Yugoslavia.  We had so much fun with him.  He was absolutely fantastic!

Our husbands, we found out, were pretty easy to please on this trip.  Just make sure they could get their Coke Light at a decent price and lower than some of the other ladies on the tour.  It became bragging rights to do that!   (Picture above In Montenegro)   

In Pisa . . .

 and in Rome.  I won't tell you they were still cheap!  These little bottles were from $1.50 to $4.00 apiece!  Terrible!  Americans would go broke if they had to pay that all the time in our country.


And, of course, let's not forget the ice cream.  Thank goodness, it cost nothing on the ship, and everyday they put out freshly churned right there on the ship.

 But, I decided, if these are his only two vices, I think I can accept that!  Hah!  

Well, we only had one more stop before returning to Barcelona and then flying home.  It sounded like it was going to be so long--12 nights on a ship, but it really had gone way too fast.  

For more pictures of George's birthday party, go to my sister's blog at:

1 comment:

Alison Wilde said...

I love seeing these pictures of dad's birthday! Everything was perfect on his big day. I'm sooo happy to hear (: