Thursday, October 4, 2012

George Goes to Dallas and Other Family Happenings

George has taken a couple of trips over to Dallas lately to work out some details on a business venture that he is doing with some of the boys.  I love it when he can spend time with them, but I'm, also, very envious of all the fun times he has with them.  

It seems like every time a picture was taken, Craig was working!  Kevin, Kent, Cameron, and George

 I have to beg to get pictures when I'm not there, but I'm posting a few of the ones I received.  Three of Cameron and Anne's kids--where is Jaxon?

These are the "Three Amigos."  They do everything together . . . Mason (Cameron and Anne's), Riley (Craig and Cassie's), and Gavin (Cameron and Anne's). 

Every day, off to school they go--together.  Mason is in an older class, but both Riley and Gavin are in the same class.  Wow!  That teacher better be on her toes!  They have "super-watt energy" together!



One of the days, George got to go to school lunch with Sydney.  Gavin came along, too.

 

Cassie took this picture right after George left to show Papa George that he got a haircut!  He looks so darling--and so much older when he gets his hair cut.  



On one of the trips, Kent had taken Ethan to the BYU-Boise State Game and met Kevin there who had taken Kade and Hannah.  They had such a fun time together--even though it was such a sad, sad game!  Then Kent and Natalie flew to Dallas, so now there were all three families there, along with George.
 
 Cameron, Kent, and George


 Kent, George, and Natalie


Laura's Activities

So what do I do while George is away or just before he leaves in order to get  projects done to save postage?  First of all, since we are getting our 25th grandchild, I made six or seven flannel baby blankets.  Craig and Cassie's little girl should be born any day now--we can't wait!



In addition, I made the crib quilt . . .


and bed skirt.


I didn't do the bumper pads, but Cassie was able to get the identical material from the same company, so I made the quilt and skirt which saved about $200.
Here is the side view of the bed . . .


and the view of the entire room.  Isn't it adorable?  Just waiting for baby "Georgina" to arrive--that's what George wants Craig and Cassie to name her.  I don't think they're buying it!


Cassie found this beautiful baby blessing dress online for $325, and then was able to find the identical material, so after ten hours (that ruffled fabric is really difficult to work with, plus the lining, and small gathered sleeves, etc., etc.) and about $30, I made the identical dress for new little baby Copeland.  


Oh, yes, and I made drapes for Craig's media room so that Cassie and I don't have to keep hearing that he can't see his television because of too much light in the room.

In addition, a guy came by and asked if we wanted our driveway power washed and quoted us $125.  "No way!" I said, but George told me it would take too long and be too much work.  I told him I would do it while he was gone, and that I needed the exercise.  Well, after two hours of very messy work, I was probably about 1/3 of the way done, but I will try to finish this Saturday.  So here are the facts:

 
Very dirty legs . . .
Much cleaner driveway . . .
Savings of $125 . . . Not having to hear my husband say, "I told you so . . ."  PRICELESS!!!

The Copeland Brand - Sorry to Say

 Finally, I wanted to share some very important information:  First, it was Amy who found an unusual spot on her back.  

 After showing it to the dermatologist and having a biopsy taken, they discovered it was melanoma.  We were all devastated, but she had gone to the dermatologist when she had a fear about what it could be.  That was the right thing to do!
 The result of that small melanoma--they have to make sure they get everything leading into it and all around it.  This makes me cry to see this picture!

So, Amy became the voice of reason in our family--telling everyone to use sunscreen even when you just take a stroll outside.  Also, she emphasized how important it is to have regular dermatologist check-ups.



The next one to find an unusual mole was Alison--well, actually it was her mother-in-law, Linda.  I have to admit that I had never noticed it before, but Alison went to the dermatologist immediately after moving to California, and they, too, found that it was a melanoma.  Are you kidding me?!  All of these are very disturbing!  Each time I view these, I get emotional!  Now, there were two town criers for getting checked. 


So, Amy got an appointment for George to her same dermatologist.  This time, after the biopsy, it wasn't a melanoma, but a "Squamos Cell Carcinoma," a skin cancer, nevertheless.  In all the explanations, two stand out:  1)  Exposure to the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, and 2) Family history of skin cancer.  

I think everyone in the family is now a believer that they must be careful to put sunscreen on and be checked.  This has been a hard six-months of painful reminders of preventions and early detection.  So, everyone, please go get checked by a dermatologist!

4 comments:

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Wow! That was quite the post with all kinds of things going on. First, so glad that George was able to spend time with four of his sons. Second, I am sincerely amazed at your sewing ability--beautiful drapes, baby bedding and baby blessing dress. Third, your pictures of skin cancer to make us all be aware and proactive about our skin. Great post, Laura!

Jenni said...

WOW - I know George has been busy, but you are keeping stride!! All those miles on the sewing machine!! I can't wait for the day I can do that again.

The skin cancer warning is sure poignant!! So sorry to hear of all the troubles.

Alison Wilde said...

I love the bedding you made for Cassie and Craig's new baby. It is darling! It always means so much more when the bedding is made by Grandma. It's fun to see the boys still love the blankets you made for them even as they get older. You have been busy!!!

Beverly said...

Amazing that Amy found the melanoma on her back and that she could share her warning with Alison and George. I guess I did not know that in addition to the two girls, George also had some sun damage.
Also, your handy work seems to be blessing the lives of your loved ones. I hope they appreciate your hard work and determination to save them money.
How neat that George took some time to be with the boys' families in Texas. As for a sad day that Boise State won in Boise, I guess that is a matter of opinion since we love Boise State as well as BYU. It was a great defensive game to see. As far as I'm concerned, they were all winners.