Memorial Day, 2013. On Memorial Day, George and I met Malcolm and Elda (George's sister), at the cemetery in Jacksonville to decorate their parents' grave. It was a beautiful day for all of us to remember the Copeland heritage, and we all enjoyed it very much.
George's dad, Jim (James), died in 1992 at the age of 83 due to incidence of old age. His mother, Ruby, died six years later at the age of 87 due to complications of Alzheimer's disease. They both lived truly exemplary lives of the gospel and family.
Grandpa Jim's brother, Henry and his wife, Ethel, are also buried right in that area.
Right next to Uncle Henry and Aunt Ethel's grave is the grave of their son (George's cousin), who died in a terrible automobile accident at the age of 22 years old. George remembers that day so well--it was so tragic.
Uncle Henry and Aunt Ethel's daughter is, also, buried there. Her husband is still living.
The Cheshire's had a son who had childhood leukemia and died before his ninth birthday.
Grandpa Jim's sister, Nancy, is also buried right by them. I was in the family by then, but I don't believe I ever met her.
Another brother of Grandpa Jim's, Raymond and his wife Lucille, are buried there by them, too. It is quite the Copeland spot under those beautiful oak trees.
George was remembering and talking about some of the family fondly.
In the meantime, in Rexburg, Idaho, my dad has carried on the tradition of decorating my mother's grave, as well as his parents, grandparents, and in-laws graves that he watched his mother do all while he grew up. He, also, has a little memorial for all of those who can attend. I would love to go to that next year since I will no longer be working and can probably attend. The last time we went was several years ago as you can tell by this picture:
It has now been 11 years since my mother, Lola, died of colon cancer. My dad has seriously done such a great job of carrying on traditions, as well as being both the grandpa and grandma in many situations to all of his posterity.
Graduation, 2013, Clay County Schools. In what may be the last graduation that George represents the Clay County School District, he helped with the Fleming Island High School graduation. It was a beautiful evening with over 700 graduates!
George congratulating the graduates while handing them their diplomas. With so many graduates, half went on one side to George while the other half went on the other side to Lisa Graham, a member of the school board.
Forty-Fifth Wedding Anniversary, June 5.
For fun, we went upstairs to my grandparents' home to take this picture. I dressed in my sister Joyce's outfit that she wore in melodramas in West Yellowstone, and George dressed up in my grandfather's old suit. I love this picture!
So, forty-five years later, along with seven children, their seven spouses, and twenty-five grandchildren, we celebrate again. It has become a joke that I always take a picture of George eating ice cream. Hah! We had a wonderful dinner at Outback, and when they heard we were celebrating our anniversary, they brought us ice cream. Just what the doctor ordered for the end of a wonderful meal!
Yes, forty-five years! I have a hard time visualizing myself before marriage--but I definitely married my best friend. Through thick and thin, I know we can count on each other and have tried to make a wonderful home for our family no matter where we have lived. Thanks, George, for the great husband and father that you have been. May we have many more wonderful years together!
June 6, 2013--Final Day of Teaching. The next day, I had to take one final picture of my classroom as I walked out on it forever--26 years of teaching behind me. Was I sad? A little--I have loved doing what I have been doing or I wouldn't have stayed with it so long, but I am definitely looking forward to the next phase of my life--wherever the Lord wants George and me to be.














2 comments:
This was such a great post. The day at the cemetery and seeing all George's ancestors as well as being with his sister will be memorable for a long time. I like that you took photos of the gravestones. Then, seeing George on the stand handing out diplomas was neat and celebrating your anniversary commemorated such an important event in your lives.
It is definitely interesting to know that you will not be teaching school any more in this classroom, but if I know you, you will be teaching someone else somewhere else sometime.
Wow! There was a lot of history in this post--family, marriage and job! You have definitely had a wonderful life so far. I know it hasn't been easy, but look at the results of your hard work, dedication and doing what is right!
Post a Comment