Friday, May 8, 2015

And the News We've All Been Waiting For!

Yes, when we heard our third grandson, Parker, had put his papers in that he wanted to serve a two-year mission for the Mormon Church, we all were thrilled!  Then the waiting began for the big day when the letter would arrive from Salt Lake City:  
 How is a missionary called?  From lds.org we read:   "Every missionary who is called and assigned or reassigned to a particular mission is called by revelation through the Lord's servants, the prophets. A member of the Quorum of the Twelve assigns prospective missionaries to one of more than three hundred missions of the Church." 
-->
 It is always so fun to guess where a missionary might be called out of the more than three hundred world-wide missions.  I think most everyone agreed he would go to a mission outside the U.S. because of their family living in France for three years, so he knew a little French; living in China for six years, so he knew a lot of Chinese; and he had taken two years of Spanish in school.  He has had many opportunities to learn foreign languages, so we were just sure it would be someplace he would be speaking a foreign language.  We all sent Parker our guesses which extended from Taiwan to Japan to his cousin, Taylor, suggesting Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which is where he served for two years speaking Spanish.  We all pretty much laughed at that guess! 
 Parker had lots of friends who aren't members of the Mormon faith who were so interested in this whole process.  They were there adding to the excitement of the evening.
 So here goes . . .

 He can hardly control his excitement!
 He just read the first two lines which contain the much-anticipated news:

 His call is to:
 Pennsylvania Philadelphia English Speaking!!!  His cousin, Taylor, guessed it perfectly!  He was probably as thrilled as Parker because of how much he enjoyed his mission while he was there.
 Philadelphia and the surrounding area will be a great place for Parker.  He is sooo excited.  When we called to talk to him, he said, "I had hopes to go to a foreign mission, but if I was going to a states' mission, I would choose to go to Pennsylvania.  I can't wait!"  
Now he can finish his senior year at high school and start all the preparation of getting all the items needed for the two years he will be gone.  He will be entering the missionary training center in Provo, Utah, on Wednesday, August 19, 2015.  Now the Wilde family will have two missionaries out:

Bracken, serving in the Australia Sydney North Chinese Speaking Mission
and
Parker, who will be serving in the Pennsylvania Philadelphia English speaking Mission

They will overlap four months, so it will be nearly four years before they see each other.  Both have been so excited for their brothers and their callings, as well as they both have the support of their entire family.  We are so excited for Parker, too!  We know what a great missionary he is going to be!  Way to go, Parker!

1 comment:

Danny said...

I know you are very proud! I repaired a computer I had and found the link to your blog. Congratulations on your retirement. I spent about an hour reading and catching up with the Copeland clan. It's fine if you don't post this comment.