When we followed the directions given us, we drove right past it because it looked so different than the regular Mormon chapels we were used to. So what did we do? We turned around to go back and suddenly saw a thundering herd of cars coming straight at us! We were on a one-way street going the wrong way! But, Joyce, is so quick--she pulled over and handled it masterfully so that we could get where we needed to go.
Not only can Joyce steer around a one-way street, she is also good at fact finding! She found out about this unique structure and posted this information. This chapel originally was a "tabernacle designed by the same man that designed the temple in
Laie, Hawaii. He received inspiration for its design by temporarily
living in a home on the plot. Ground was broken to begin construction
in 1940. The main gathering space within the tabernacle seated 2,400
and the 140-ft. tower was the second largest structure on Oahu at the
time of construction. The tabernacle was completed at a cost of
$275,000 and dedicated on August 17, 1941, by LDS Church President David
O. McKay who specifically prayed that it would be protected in the
event of a war. Less than four months later and 10 miles away, Pearl
Harbor was bombed. The building now functions as a meetinghouse rather
than a tabernacle."
After a fantastic Sacrament meeting, all the adults went outside through the open air walkway to the Relief Society Room. There, on the end wall, was the picture that made me feel right at home: Our sister-in-law Denise who is posed as Mary in the picture of Christ with Martha and Mary. That picture is in so many chapels worldwide. It is still one of my favorites--but, I guess, I am a little prejudiced because of how much I think of my sister-in-law!
We met so many wonderful people. One of the most unique was this little lady, who I was told by her friends, that she had been a very famous hula dancer. I asked her where she got her beautiful head dress, and she told me her son made it for her.
All of the meetings were fantastic. The Relief Society President was from Idaho Falls. Her dad is an attorney, and our dad knows him well.
This is a mosaic of Christ made of 100,000 glass tiles!
We had the Relief Society President's husband take our pictures--I think he got a little carried away. He kept having us move here and there for the pictures. I think he has done this plenty of times before for other people!
A huge banyan tree on the church grounds.
This was a monument on the grounds dedicated to the first Mormon Missionaries to Hawaii. I believe the date was December 19, 1850, and then it gave their names.
This was on the steps of the chapel looking back over the pond toward the city.
A little stream is in between the chapel and the parking lot. The Honolulu Mission Office is right behind us. This whole complex is huge!
Later that evening, we walked over to the International Market Place. This is where you can get all kinds of items that are made in Hawaii, plus try many of the foods there.
I cannot believe the long-term memory our dad has! He remembered exactly where many of the shops were that he had visited over 30 years ago when George and I, along with my mother and dad, aunt and uncle, plus my grandmother had gone to. I am embarrassed that I don't remember half of those details!
Anyway, we had to try some of the Island smoothies, and of course, my dad is like my husband--he loves ice cream. We always get the pineapple kind in everything we order!
My dad likes to take breaks as we walk, so here I took a picture of him on a bench with the Waikiki Beach behind him. Such a beautiful evening in such a beautiful paradise! Man will never match God's creations!
Our sister, Natalie, arrived this afternoon. She will now be touring with us. She is the "baby" of the family--so we all adore her. She is always so much fun and keeps us all young!








2 comments:
Again, you were so much more thorough than I was! Great job!!! Thanks for letting me borrow some of your pictures for my blog. As I think back on it, that experience of attending church in that historic tabernacle was one of the highlights of the trip!
Actually, you and Joyce are both pretty detailed. I enjoyed reading each of the stories that go with the photos and you said it well--this was one of the best days. Your photos and words really show why this was such a perfect day. (Also, this last photo of Dad is really nice with the beautiful sunset behind!)Great job.
Post a Comment