Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Final Pictures of Barcelona

I absolutely loved Barcelona!  Now I know why my son-in-law, Jeff, enjoyed his two-year Mormon mission there so much.  The scenery, the culture, the unique artwork all around, plus the friendly people, all make it a definite place to visit.  



I couldn't resist putting some pictures of Jeff while he was serving in the Barcelona Mission.  Here he is standing in front of the Telefonica Atenea--the communications tower used to transmit coverage of the 1992 Olympic Games.  It is located in the Olympic Park, representing an athlete holding the Olympic flame.  It, also, works as a sundial!  



Jeff and his companion with a young Spanish boy.  




And this was such a fun picture Jeff took while in Barcelona at a celebration where the people make a human pyramid.  I really hope Jeff gets to go back to Barcelona some day.  He still has such a fond place in his heart for the city and the people.


By flying both in and out of Barcelona, we were able to stay there longer than any other city of our tour, so we probably got to know it better than any other place we went.  I can now say I know so much more about the great architect Gaudi and all he did for Barcelona.   In addition to the Park Guell and the huge Sagrada Familia, you see architecture either done by him or inspired by him throughout the whole city.  


Buildings . . .


Even street lights were designed by Gaudi.   Such a genius he was!


And walking through the streets we saw so many wonderful pastry stores to had to pass by!  We would have weighed 50 pounds extra if we had tried it all!


Now this made George smile.  We definitely had to try to gelato in Italy, so he waited until then, and he had plenty of ice cream on the ship which they made daily.  Divine!  (Pictures of that will follow when we blog about our ship adventures.)


Exploring the narrow streets.



And visiting the famous Magic Fountain which was built for the 1929 World's Fair.  



Over 2 1/2 million visitors come to watch the synchronized waters with the stereophonic music all around.  The night that we were there, the music was from Disney movies.  I kept thinking how much the grand kids would have loved it.  It was just spectacular!

For more pictures of our last adventures in Barcelona, go to my sister's blog at:  


2 comments:

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Loved the pictures of Jeff--what a cute young guy!! That would be great for Jeff to return to Barcelona some day. So glad you posted those pictures of him while he served his mission to Spain.

Beverly said...

Jeff was and still is a cute guy. I did have to look once or twice to make sure the tall, slender missionary was your son-in law. How fun to visit his old mission stomping grounds. I bet he wanted a full report when you returned.